Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2024-05-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by drfoodlove

@Nicole--how's the hip? I'm sure four volleyball games, a light run, and two football games this weekend (your normal stuff) was good for it. :D

Damn... this comment did not age well

HAHA!

2024-05-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole:  geez, girl....when it rains it pours, huh?  Well - I popped a groin muscle sprinting in high school (sounded like a gunshot to me - it was the first time I had ever been really injured so it was terrifying) and it healed up pretty quickly so yours might not be totally torn; hamstrings are really difficult - I know it's hard but you're getting to the age where you have to train to be able to play fast-twitch sports like football (and volleyball, for that matter).  I gave up on them in my mid-thirties because I couldn't handle training to play, playing, work, and fatherhood at the same time.   Heal well. 

Yeah, it's annoying b/c I know what I need to do but just don't do it. I will be much better after this, as I definitely do not ever want to go through something like this again!

Hanging up my cleats. This was going to be my last season anyway since the league is ending. I'm really sad I won't be able to finish it out.

I'll still play volleyball and pickleball, just need to stretch more and do more strength. I got this!
2024-05-07 11:44 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike I hope your ticker appointment goes well today!
2024-05-07 11:45 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Mike, its Tuesday in NZ, so I think that means that overnight you'll be seeing 'Cardio-Dude' (who i imagine dressed how gretchen said, but crossed with duff-man from the simpsons) Please let us know how it went. FWIW, when I did the stress test it was something called the 'Bruce Protocol' I did 12 minutes, so that's your time to beat

@Nat. 148m swimming is about 145 more than I've done this month (I'm sure I've managed 1 or 2 moving around the spa pool )

@Nicole. Damn, damn, damn. It sounds like the universe is telling you that now's the time for a break and to do surgery. But of course you need to wait and talk to the ortho latter in the week. So sorry for you, I know it's not how you imagined this year going. Your last comment is the one to focus on, you'll be back better than ever in no time. In the scheme of things, a few months recovery to get healthy is nothing. It might suck a bit today, but long term you'll be glad you did.

Exactly! I was feeling a bit down yesterday, but am trying to focus on the positives. I didn't lose the ability to walk. This is only temporary, and it was a hard lesson, but I am going to learn from it!
2024-05-08 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Went to cardio-man yesterday, had a brief encounter as he was called away to the hospital across the street for somebody having myocardial infarction, but so far:

• BP still high, though lower than before
  • quick EKG normal, heart sounded normal with stethoscope
  • I have full ECG on Monday and I'm wearing a heart monitor to record anytime I feel abnormal
  • I still felt like crap and am wondering if I'm sick in some way, not heart-related

Did do another "bike"/"run"/"strength" session yesterday morning - HR continued to track normally in zone 1, but I got super tired in the afternoon and had to take a 30-minute nap.  I'm feeling a lot more normal this morning after sleeping pretty well last night.

At the very least, this episode will serve as a full cardiac work-up, which I should probably have now in my mid-50s anyway.  Going to keep the easy stuff going until Monday.

2024-05-08 7:30 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Went to cardio-man yesterday, had a brief encounter as he was called away to the hospital across the street for somebody having myocardial infarction, but so far:

• BP still high, though lower than before
  • quick EKG normal, heart sounded normal with stethoscope
  • I have full ECG on Monday and I'm wearing a heart monitor to record anytime I feel abnormal
  • I still felt like crap and am wondering if I'm sick in some way, not heart-related

Did do another "bike"/"run"/"strength" session yesterday morning - HR continued to track normally in zone 1, but I got super tired in the afternoon and had to take a 30-minute nap.  I'm feeling a lot more normal this morning after sleeping pretty well last night.

At the very least, this episode will serve as a full cardiac work-up, which I should probably have now in my mid-50s anyway.  Going to keep the easy stuff going until Monday.

Glad that everything is seeming normal so far and you're having more tests. Definitely good to have done even just as prevention/wellness exams. I know you will, but keep us posted, please!

Had a chiro appt today. He did a little light massage on my hamstring just to get the blood flowing, some very light dynamic cupping, and then used KT tape. He thinks it might be strained or partially torn. I'm still leaning towards partially torn but who knows. He thinks I'm better off having my hammie healthy and strong before hip surgery, so that will be another layer of discussion that I'm sure my ortho will also tell me...the waiting is driving me crazy.
Eager for my appt tomorrow!

2024-05-08 5:54 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike—take care of yourself! That general run downness is sometimes a precursor sign of a heart attack. More so in women than men, but keep an eye on it!! (As you are with your cardio visits)

Nicole—good luck tomorrow with your appointment!

Nothing compared to Mike and Nicole, but I have my own health issue going on.

Today was a doozie. It is so big it starts over the weekend! So, over the weekend I did a bunch of yard work, including pulling the vines off our (many, many trees) and weed eating the property. The thing about southern Illinois is virtually everything in nature here will harm you in some way. I did all the protective stuff—long sleeves, pants, gloves, hat, face shield—and washed at the end of the day with TechNu, a glorified mineral spirit that is *supposed* to break down the oils from toxic plants. Despite my best efforts on Monday evening I started to feel some itching on my forearm. By Tuesday morning I had patches of poison ivy all over. Seriously—both arms, on leg, my stomach, a boob (!), and, the real kicker…my face. I have no idea how I got it in some of the places I have it! So, part of yesterday was spent getting a prescription for prednisone. I was so defeated by the time I got home, I skipped my interval ride last night and went to sleep at 6:45.

This morning I got up at 3:30 and did yesterdays ride (I know, I know; 75’) and then immediately went swimming, 2000 yds. I did a 30’ Z1 run at 10 (to avoid the storms sweeping through later) and then at 3:30 I did a 75’ Z1 ride. A quadruple! I’m tired.
2024-05-08 7:08 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  I HATE poison ivy.  I also need Prednisone every time I encounter it.  We lived on a farm-ish type thing in high school with about two acres of tress that we were constantly messing with, and all the overgrown vines that we always that crap.

2024-05-09 1:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Mike—take care of yourself! That general run downness is sometimes a precursor sign of a heart attack. More so in women than men, but keep an eye on it!! (As you are with your cardio visits)

I agree, being tired can be a sign that the ticker is not ticking as well as it should. Do not take it lightly (which you aren’t)

2024-05-09 7:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole—good luck tomorrow with your appointment!

Nothing compared to Mike and Nicole, but I have my own health issue going on.

Today was a doozie. It is so big it starts over the weekend! So, over the weekend I did a bunch of yard work, including pulling the vines off our (many, many trees) and weed eating the property. The thing about southern Illinois is virtually everything in nature here will harm you in some way. I did all the protective stuff—long sleeves, pants, gloves, hat, face shield—and washed at the end of the day with TechNu, a glorified mineral spirit that is *supposed* to break down the oils from toxic plants. Despite my best efforts on Monday evening I started to feel some itching on my forearm. By Tuesday morning I had patches of poison ivy all over. Seriously—both arms, on leg, my stomach, a boob (!), and, the real kicker…my face. I have no idea how I got it in some of the places I have it! So, part of yesterday was spent getting a prescription for prednisone. I was so defeated by the time I got home, I skipped my interval ride last night and went to sleep at 6:45.

This morning I got up at 3:30 and did yesterdays ride (I know, I know; 75’) and then immediately went swimming, 2000 yds. I did a 30’ Z1 run at 10 (to avoid the storms sweeping through later) and then at 3:30 I did a 75’ Z1 ride. A quadruple! I’m tired.

Nooooooo poison ivy is HORRIBLE! I once managed to get it on my inner thigh, and then my thighs rubbed together and rubbed the oil allllllll over my inner thighs. It's a horrible thing and I hope it goes away very soon. Glad you were able to get meds quickly!
2024-05-09 2:53 PM
in reply to: #5288646

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
So I managed to take a double dose of prednisone this morning by accident. Needless to say, it has not gone well! :D. But, at least I don’t itch.

Up at 4 to fit in a 1:30 bike/46’ run brick before my 8am Arabic lesson and then immediately off to the gym for strength training. All went well. Normally wouldn’t bunch it all up like that, but I have a PhD student graduating this weekend (after six years), so we are hosting a little bbq for her. Lots of prep to get done, but she’s worth it. She has had so many set backs, including Covid hitting just as she started her research phase and finding out she has breast cancer just as she was finishing up writing her dissertation. I’m in awe of her perserverance.

2024-05-09 3:09 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

So I managed to take a double dose of prednisone this morning by accident. Needless to say, it has not gone well! :D. But, at least I don’t itch.

Up at 4 to fit in a 1:30 bike/46’ run brick before my 8am Arabic lesson and then immediately off to the gym for strength training. All went well. Normally wouldn’t bunch it all up like that, but I have a PhD student graduating this weekend (after six years), so we are hosting a little bbq for her. Lots of prep to get done, but she’s worth it. She has had so many set backs, including Covid hitting just as she started her research phase and finding out she has breast cancer just as she was finishing up writing her dissertation. I’m in awe of her perserverance.

Inspirational!! Have fun celebrating her!!!

Also, woops!! Feeling extra energetic I'm sure!
2024-05-09 3:15 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ok, had my doc appointment finally (felt like a year since my MRI and hamstring injury!)

I'm pretty sure the hamstring at least tore a little b/c of the pop. He just said it's "strained." Agree to disagree lol. I strained my hammie before and it was nothing like this...Anyway...

I'm going to start PT next week. He said to use the crutches for now, but if he thinks it's only pulled that doesn't make a ton of sense. I'm just using one and only for longer distances unless I'm in a lot of pain. Unless I turn to quick and tweak it (which is horrible) it mostly feels fine, so I'll just take things slow.

As for my hip, the PT will be for that too. He says the tear is small and it's possible that I will be fine with PT. I asked all the questions (will I be able to do everything I want or will I be limited? What if I need surgery later in life, would it be better just to do it now? etc). He doesn't seem convinced I will need it, so I will go back in 5 weeks or so to talk progress, and then by September will determine if I'm still having issues or not. If not, probably won't need it, but if so, will get it scheduled for winter.

SO...more waiting...but feeling better that he liked my timeline of waiting until winter for the surgery if it's determined I need it.

Eager for PT now b/c I just want to feel better. I'm not very patient.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 886 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland